I was inspired by an article by Hels Sheridan in July Craft Stamper to try stamping with multi medium. Hels used Claudine Hellmuth Multi Medium – Matte. I used Modge Podge – Matte.
The basic resist technique: brush a thin layer of your chosen medium onto a craft mat and press your stamp into it, then stamp onto your substrate – in this case, a white card ATC. Clean the stamp immediately. I used baby wipes. Then dry the stamped image gently with a heat gun before inking with Distress inks or stains. I used the direct to paper technique rather than cut n dry foam, for a bolder look. Lastly, polish it with a piece of paper towel.
My background stamp was the ledger from Lost Coast ATC Set 6 and I inked over it with Spiced Marmalade Distress Ink. Then I stamped the ledger again with Chipped Sapphire Distress Ink.
On a separate piece of white card, I stamped the birds and birdcage from Claudine Hellmuth’s Domestic clear stamp set in Chipped Sapphire. Then I stamped them again, in Modge Podge, offsetting the stamp slightly to create a halo. I coloured the birds with Tumbled Glass Distress Ink and the bird cage with Spiced Marmalade and Crushed Olive. I cut them out and mounted them on foam tape, adding eyes with blue biro. The eggs (Green Pepper Press) were stamped in Chipped Sapphire and coloured with Distress inks. As my sewing machine is packed away, I drew faux stitching with an Indigo Blue ProMarker.
I stamped the small Cheshire Cat from The Octopode Factory in Aged Mahogany Distress Ink, stamped again onto scrap to make a mask and then ‘inked’ the manuscript stamp from Lost Coast ATC Set 6 with Modge Podge, stamping it over the mask. I heated it as before, then coloured the cat and the background with Wild Honey, Spiced Marmalade and Crushed Olive Distress Stains, not worrying about going over the lines. After polishing with paper towel, I glued two buttons over the eyes and cut the words from an old paperback of Alice in Wonderland. The words strips are coloured with Wild Honey Distress Stain and edged very lightly with black biro.
With hindsight, I think the background stamps I chose are too finely detailed to really show up the resist. Hels was working with larger, more solid stamps in a larger format. However, I’m pleased with how they turned out.