Fragile by Amanda Southern

00:00






I have a wall hanging for you this week taking my inspiration from the style and products of mixed media artist Seth Apter. Seth was recently in the UK taking workshops, that I would have loved to attend, however next time hopefully.



Here’s What I Did:-


I started with a That’s Crafty! MDF panel 4.5” x 9” (I love this size) and I first added, using gel medium, lots of magazine headlines and text that I had cut out. I then added a band of texture at the top using crumpled bandage and another band of texture using crumpled tissue paper a third of the way down the panel, again applied with gel medium. 

Once that was all dry I randomly applied black paint, totally covering the bands of texture but randomly over the magazine cut outs as I wanted the text to show through. I then stamped over the magazine cut outs with a texture stamp adding stamped scratches. Then I roughly added crackle paste in areas of the panel.

The next stage was to just keep layering up translucent paints till I was happy with how it looked.

Onto a manila tag I added Distress paints to match the panel as I wanted this to be opaque, the final layer on the tag was brayed for a more grunged look. I then die cut, one of Seths new dies - ‘Pathways’, from my painted tag. The manila card is really strong for this. On another piece of the painted tag I stamped and heat embossed one of Seth’s word circles, these come with their own die to cut them out perfectly. The 3rd piece to add was a That’s Crafty! small MDF heart, painted red, stamped with a texture stamp and lightly brayered on some black paint. I added a couple of x’s labels. With a final piece of my tag I stamped and heat embossed the word Fragile. I heat embossed both with red embossing power but dulled down the colour by smearing black paint on with my finger.




Here you can see the pieces added to the panel



I felt it still needed more. I had a piece of chicken wire that I had rusted up with rusting powder so cut some of that up and added to the panel with a staple gun, more texture added.







No I still wasn’t happy I needed to add a little contrast of colour and that colour was Broken China Distress paint applied with my finger in areas, with the edge of a credit card and a lid to create a couple of circles. Also some flicks of red mister paint.




Now I was happy with it and walked away……………


What I Used:-


Tim Holtz Label Letters
Magazine Slogans Cut Out
Bandages
Tissue Paper
Credit card and bottle lid for mark making
Fragile stamp from my stash


Hope you like it and see you next Tuesday

Love
Amanda X

You Might Also Like

8 comments

  1. Wowzer!!! This is fabulous Amanda! Seth is an amazing teacher, hope you get to one of his classes next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome, Amanda! I love and admire how you managed to add so much detail without having your piece look overloaded! LOVE this to bits!

    Claudia x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning textured grungy panel - the chicken wire is so cool, and I love how you've layered up the dies for the extra dimension over the amazing background detail.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG Amanda! This is totally aewsome and the detail is just stunning! I also thought the heart and circular embellie were acrylic as they look see through.
    Fliss xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. One more word.....STUNNING!!!
    hugs
    Donna xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What incredible texture. Must be even more amazing in person.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Like us on Facebook