My Story, I Will Journal (Part I) by Lynne Moncrieff

00:00







This week I am sharing some of the journal I worked on for the recent HOCHANDA shows. 
I still cannot believe I have been lucky enough to have stamps made from my jottings. 

Many moons ago, long before I discovered stamping, I began a notebook with the intention of filling it with an image I was drawn to from a magazine and on the opposite page, writing a positive message that came to my mind, based on the image. This notebook became tattered but for some reason, I always kept the pages. I could never imagine that some of those would, all those years later, be formed into stamps. Other Affirmations, such as “they carry secrets on their wings” was a title for a blog post, again a long time ago but certainly more recent compared to that notebook, which would be from the late 1990s. 

With the Affirmations being quite personal to me, it heightens the sense of disbelief that they are now stamps. 

Thank you to That’s Crafty! for making it all possible and for those of you who have so kindly shared your feedback with me. 

This post is photo heavy – you have been warned! 


Supplies


That’s Crafty! Dinky Stencils – Bubble Background, Star Shower
Glue Stick
Extras:- Found papers/re-cycled materials, re-cycled sari silk ribbon, vintage book


Preparation of white/greyboard pages


Apply Gesso, varying the application to provide texture. With a glue stick, adhere torn pieces of book page, work randomly yet at the same time, consider balance. Also adhere other found papers. Onto this, apply more Gesso. 

Apply Infusions, also staining calico, sari silk ribbon, corrugated cardboard, anything that catches your eye!  Leave all to dry. 

Spread out all the pages, deciding which Affirmations to use on which pages, whether the colours and effects of the Infusions suited an Affirmation relating to flying/soaring, the stars or something more grounded.


Notes


Working with two pages side by side, I would adhere torn mop-up papers and other stained papers so it appears as though it is only one 6”x12” page I am working on. When the double page spread was completed, I cut down the centre. This provided a better flow to the pages.

All Affirmations were stamped onto Gesso’d book pages. For some, I doodled a box around the word tiles to give definition. 

All stamping and stencilling was carried out after adhering the papers to the pages.



Cover








Adhere stained corrugated cardboard, calico, etc. Onto vintage book page painted with Gesso, stamp “My story, I will share”. Tear into two pieces, dismissing the word “share”.  Adhere to cover, layering acrylic shape over “I will”, edging with Sharpie pen. With the white paint pen, stencil Journal, edging with black pen. Beneath this, scribble circles with watersoluble pencil.










Below are some variations to the pages.


Pages One and Two – Fly Ever Upwards, It’s Your Time To Soar







Stamp birds across mid-section. At the far, right side, rotate the stamp in a different direction, as though the birds are flying towards the others, upwards to the sky. Add wisps of handmade paper which had been stained with Infusions.





Pages Three and Four – When My Head Is In The Sky, My Feet Are Grounded To The Earth








Onto the upper left side tab, I adhered the word “grounded” – inking up only this word from the Affirmation, again stamping onto Gesso’d book page.








Pages Five and Six – A Handful of Stars I Wish Upon







Stamp and stencil stars, stencilling with black watersoluble pencil or black paint pen. I also randomly stencilled Bubbles Background, the white paint pen was used for the centres with freehand black circles around the outer edge. The fabulous stencil from the Word Series – Time, was stencilled with black watersoluble pencil.











Next week I will share the remainder of the journal, until then….

Wishes,

Lynne

You Might Also Like

11 comments

  1. Thank you so much for sharing your Journal with us all Lynne and the reason behind your designs. I love the story of your personal journey and the way each page flows gently together... it brings it all to life. A very personal piece.. Hugs Tracey x

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE ❤️
    Hugs
    Donna xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dear Lynne, they are gorgeous spreads, all with the feeling of being taken on a dream like tour in the nature,of day and night. Your beautiful affirmations, goes wonderfully with the stars and birds, also on your stamps, and the Infusions makes the feeling even more dreamlike . You make perfectly use of them Lynne, illustrating sky- and earth plus the texture is so amazing . I look forward seeing more :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cover and page are beautifully constructed Lynne and depict your stamps and personal story so well. Thank you for sharing the step by step details.
    Hugs Annie xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've already had some lovely comments on a piece I used your stamps on Lynne - they are so different and I love that there is an image you can use like the stars and the birds to go with the sentiments. Thanks for sharing the story of your words - it makes the stamps even more special.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely stunning Lynne
    Love
    Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning cover and pages.
    Avril xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely beautiful journal Lynne, so much gorgeous detail and your signature vintage and shabby chic look.
    Fliss xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, another great creation. I love your work. I look forward to your postings.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I so enjoy looking at this work of art over and over! It is stunning.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Like us on Facebook